We’re looking for excellent general audience furry stories on the theme “COMMUNITY.” If
you have an excellent story, but you’re not sure it fits the theme,
give it a try. We can be generous in how we interpret “community,” but
all stories must be furry. That means an anthropomorphic animal figure
should be significantly featured in your story—it could be
anthropomorphic in body or only intelligence. We’ll consider any type
of furry fiction from secret life of animals to fox in Starbucks—as long
as it’s excellent. Though, the editor does have a preference for
stories where the animal nature of the characters matters—if the reader
can’t even remember the species of the characters by the end of the
story, then that’s not a good sign.
We are interested in underrepresented voices. If you have personal experience relevant to your story, feel free to mention it in your cover letter. For instance, if your story is about a space unicorn and you are a space unicorn (or a research biologist who studies space unicorns), let us know. We welcome and will be looking for diverse voices. We are not interested in stories that give voice to racist or sexist ideologies. We are not interested in stories that involve rape in any way. We’re very serious about this; that’s why it’s in bold.
Please send submissions as an attached .doc, .docx, or .rtf file in Standard Manuscript Format to ROARanthology(at)gmail.com with a subject line that reads: SUBMISSION: “Story Title” – word count. (For an example of Standard Manuscript Format, see this essay by William Shunn. For help with writing a cover letter, check out this excellent advice from Strange Horizons.)
- Length — Between 2,000 and 18,000 words. Query if longer or shorter. We tend to prefer stories between 4,000 and 10,000 words.
- Multiple submissions — Keep it reasonable; two or three stories at a time is probably okay; ten isn’t.
- Reprints — Yes, but include information about where the story was previously published. We’re more interested in stories that will be new to the majority of our audience.
- Simultaneous submissions — No. If you send a story to us, please don’t send it anywhere else until you hear back from us.
- Response time — Most final decisions won’t be made until after the deadline, but all stories should receive a response by March 1st.
- Payment — 1/2 cent per word and one contributor’s copy.
- Deadline — February 1st, 2019
- Expected release date — July, 2019